SkyTeam alliance carriers Air France and KLM are once again selling very reasonably priced tickets to Johannesburg, South Africa. Rates start as low as €391 and are available from many Spanish departure airports. Below you’ll find a few examples:
Flying from the major cities, such as Madrid, is also possible, but costs roughly €25 more.
A ‘Light’ fare this low, unfortunately, does only include one piece of carry-on luggage. You can add checked baggage by getting the ‘Standard’ fare, but this will cost you an extra €80.
On your way to South Africa, you’ll have a layover in Paris or Amsterdam. In most cases, it will only take between 1 and 2 hours until you get on board of your flight to Johannesburg. If you’re flying from Malaga, the feeder flight may be operated by Air Europa.
Search & Book
You will apparently be able to book your flights until March 12, 2020. You have to stay in Africa for at least 5 days and could stay up to 3 months. July and October are the only months with absolutely no availability for this fare.
We recommend using Google Flights (instructions) to find the best available dates within your preferred travel time and for your nearest airport. You can then purchase the tickets directly on KLM’s website.
The tickets will be issued in booking class L for the feeder flights, and G for the long-haul flights. A Bilbao – Johannesburg roundtrip should get you:
- 4,254 Miles on Aeromexico Club Premier
- 4,102 Kilometers on China Southern Sky Pearl Club
- 3,214 Miles on Aeroflot Bonus
- 3,188 Award Miles + 11,858 MQM on Delta SkyMiles
- 3,186 Miles on MEA Cedar Miles
- 3,172 Miles on Saudia Alfursan
- 2,816 Miles on Xiamen Airlines Egret Club
- 2,672 Miles on Aerolineas Argentinas Plus
- 2,672 Miles on China Airlines Dynasty Flyer
- 2,644 Miles on Czech Airlines OK Plus
- 2,644 Miles on Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- 2,644 Miles on GOL Aéreos Smiles
- 2,644 Miles on Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles
- 2,644 Miles on Korean Air Skypass
- 2,644 Miles on Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- 2,644 Miles on Air Europa Club
- 2,644 Miles on Vietnam Golden Lotus Plus
- 760 Kilometers on China Eastern Eastern Miles
- 600 Miles on Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Information on Johannesburg
Tips for Johannesburg
Johannesburg has 9,6 million inhabitants and is the largest city and most important business and financial center in Africa south of the Sahara. The city is well connected to Europe by air, flights for under 500€ (round trip) are becoming increasingly more common.
Best Time to Travel
The best times to visit Johannesburg are during fall (March – May) and during spring (September – Novemver). Temperatures are warm but pleasant and rainfall is comparatively rare.
From the Airport to the City
One possibility is taking the Gautrain, a type of local commuter rail. A trip to the city center takes about 25 minutes and costs approximately 12€. Taking a cab or an Uber runs you about 18€ to 24€.
→ All Dealz for Johannesburg
Cover Picture: © UTOPIA