Oneworld member Qatar Airways is offering cheap Business Class tickets from various European cities to Cairns in Australia. The cheapest flight starts from Belgrade and costs €2,019. While this is a great deal, there are a few hurdles you’ll have to take before you’re able to enjoy it.
Low fares to Cairns from the following European airports:
- Belgrade at €2,019
- Helsinki at €2,097
- Madrid at €2,168
- Brussels at €2,291
- Athens at €2,371
- Barcelona at €2,467
Flights between Hong Kong and Cairns are operated by Cathay Pacific, using Airbus A330-300 aircraft. Qatar Airways operates Boeing 777-300ERs between Doha and Hong Kong, that may or may not feature Qsuites. Flights from Belgrade, Athens and Helsinki (partly) are operated by A320 aircraft, which eventually haven’t got a refurbished Business Class.
Please be very careful when you book these flights: Qatar Airways downgrades certain flights between Hong Kong and Cairns with a short notice during the booking process. Your booking class and fare remains the same, but you’ll loose the comfort of a Business Class cabin on one or both flights to Australia.
All these factors make this offer more suitable as a mileage run than a way to get to Cairns while enjoying Qatar Airways’ outstanding premium cabin along the way.
Search & Book
It is a bit tricky to find these fares, as neither skyscanner, the Airfare Matrix nor Google Flights displays them. The only way to retrieve them is to use the calendar function on qatarairways.com:
Because these fares are only available on a few select dates, we’ll give you one example per airport on when you can expect to find them:
- Belgrade: September 9 – September 28
- Helsinki: June 13 – July 10
- Madrid: September 23 – October 22
- Brussels: June 26 – July 3
- Athens: September 11 – October 10
- Barcelona: June 12 – July
These are not specific traveldates. Since you can select an out- and an inbound leg seperately, you may find another suiting date yourself.
Fare rules state no restrictions despite that tickets must be purchased five days in advance. A stopover in Doha is free of charge on either the in- or outbound leg. Travel period seems to be between today and October 31, 2019. We can’t tell you how long this offer will be available.
We already stated that this offer works best as a mileage run: tickets from Europe to Hong Kong are issued in booking class R. The segment between Hong Kong and Australia is ticketed in booking class I. The cheapest Belgrade to Cairns roundtrip will give you the following award mileage:
- 57,370 on Finnair Plus
- 45,890 on LATAM Pass
- 35,650 on Royal Air Maroc Safar Flyer
- 35,650 on Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- 35,650 on Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- 35,650 on Asia Miles
- 35,650 on Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- 35,650 on GOL Aéreos Smiles
- 35,650 on Iberia Plus
- 35,650 on MEA Cedar Miles
- 35,650 on British Airways Executive Club
- 35,650 on S7 Airlines Priority Club
- 28,510 on Bangkok Airways FlyerBonus
- 28,510 on American AAdvantage
- 28,510 on Royal Jordanian Royal Club
- 28,510 on SriLankan FlySmiles