Vancouver on Canada‘s west coast is always worth a trip! Unfortunately, the city is no longer a dark horse – and so the hotels are extremely expensive, especially in summer. If you want to save money, visit the city in the off-season.
A deal by the local hotel association makes such a visit even cheaper. Anyone staying in one of 42 selected hotels by the end of February 2023 will receive a prepaid Mastercard worth up to CA$250 (~€175). You can then use this card to pay your room bill. In this way, you can book hotels in the city up to 73% cheaper than through other sites.
You can book easily using the following link. Make sure that the Mastercard is really mentioned:
Apparently, a booking via the portal is considered a direct booking at the hotel. So it should be possible to use the usual status benefits at Hilton, IHG, … and earn points.
Use the Mastercard to Pay the Hotel Bill
With the Mastercard, you can of course go on a shopping tour and pay for your souvenirs, and restaurant visits, …. However, it is much easier to simply use the card to pay the hotel bill.
The fact that this works was also confirmed to us by email. According to a report by the Canadian blog Prince of Travel, employees often suggest this themselves:
These gift cards will be delivered upon check-in. In my experience, the check-in staff will often ask whether you’d simply like to skip the physical gift card itself and simply use the amount to offset against your room charge, so you can think of the gift card as essentially a straight-up discount against the nightly rate.Prince of Travel
Depending on the length of your stay, you will receive:
- A prepaid Mastercard of CAD 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 for 1-night stays
- Two prepaid Mastercards totalling CAD 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 for stays ≥ 2 nights
StayVancouverHotels’ website makes it appear as if there was no card for stays of 3 nights or more. But that is imprecise wording. Stays > 3 nights are treated the same as 2-night stays, so there is a maximum refund of CA$250 (~€175).
The following restrictions must be observed:
- Travel period: October 17, 2022, to February 28, 2023
- If you book several consecutive stays, this only counts as one stay
- The prepaid Mastercard will be given to you at check-in
- The offer can be ended at any time
- Bookings can be cancelled free of charge up to 48 hours before arrival
- Each person may take advantage of the offer for a maximum of 3 times
This is How it Works
If you book on the landing page linked above, the offer code is entered automatically. If this is not the case, you can manually enter the code
Mastercard in the left field of the search form:
As soon as you have decided on a date and clicked on
Book Now, all hotels will be listed together with the amount of the voucher:
Note that prices (as is usual in North America) are displayed exclusive of taxes & fees. Only after the room has been selected are taxes and other fees such as resort fees, facility fees, etc. added up:
We picked out a few example prices and compared them with the cheapest price from Google Hotels. All prices include all taxes & fees:
- Sandman Suites Vancouver Davie Street (February 13 – 15, 2023):
- Price: CA$266 (~€187) minus CA$150 (~€105) Mastercard = CA$106 (~€74) for 2 nights
- Google Hotels: €286
- Savings: 73% (!)
- The Listel Hotel Vancouver (February 11 – 13, 2023)
- Price: CA$411 (~€288) minus CA$200 (~€140) Mastercard = CA$211 (~€148) for 2 nights
- Google Hotels: €298
- Savings: 47%
- Fairmont Hotel Waterfront (December 5 – 7, 2022).
- Price: CA$633 (~€444) minus CA$250 (~€175) Mastercard = CA$383 (~€269) for 2 nights
- Google Hotels: €478
- Savings: 40%
Cover Picture: Vlad Namashko