There hasn’t been a status match for the Oneworld alliance for a long time – until now. Status customers of 26 selected frequent flyer programs can participate in a match to Royal Air Maroc‘s Safar Flyer program. As Royal Air Maroc joined the Oneworld alliance in 2020, this will take you straight to a Oneworld Ruby or Sapphire status.
After the match, the status is valid until March 31, 2023. The Status Match promo is available until May 31, 2022 but may end earlier.
Safar Flyer has limited the match to Oneworld Ruby status.
Unfortunately, a “processing fee” of €49 has to be paid to the operator of the StatusMatch.com platform. If you want to save the fee, you could try emailing Safar Flyer and asking them about the match directly. But there is probably no way around the official website for the match.
These Frequent Flyer Programs are Matched
The match is available to members of 26 selected frequent flyer programs, according to the FAQ. These are:
- Aegean Airlines – Miles+Bonus
- Air Canada – Aeroplan
- Egyptair – Plus
- Ethiopian Airlines – ShebaMiles
- Miles & More
- Middle East Airlines – Cedar Miles
- SAS – Eurobonus
- South African Airways – SAA Voyager
- TAP Air Portugal – Miles&Go
- Turkish Airlines – Miles&Smiles
- United Airlines – MileagePlus
- Air Europa – SUMA
- Czech Airlines – OK Plus
- Delta Air Lines – SkyMiles
- Flying Blue
- LATAM – LATAM Pass
- Saudia – Alfursan
- ITA – Volare1
- El Al – Matmid
- Emirates – Skywards
- Etihad – Etihad Guest
- Gulf Air – Falconflyer
- JetBlue – TrueBlue Rewards
- Oman Air – Sinbad
- Tunisar – Fidelys
- Virgin Atlantic – Flying Club
- WestJet – Westjet Rewards
1 – is not listed in the FAQ, but can be selected in the application form
The following scheme seems to apply:
- Star Alliance Silver → Safar Flyer Silver (Oneworld Ruby)
- Star Alliance Gold → Safar Flyer Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
- SkyTeam Elite → Safar Flyer Silver (Oneworld Ruby)
- SkyTeam Elite Plus → Safar Flyer Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
- Campaign period: from now until May 31, 2022 (early termination possible)
- Status is valid after a successful match until March 31, 2023
- Processing should take place within 5 working days
- The processing fee of €49 also applies if the match is rejected
- The existing frequent flyer status must have been obtained regularly, not through a status match (probably cannot be checked anyway. But if in doubt, be aware that you’re risking €49)
- Those who already have frequent flyer status with Safar Flyer are excluded
- A physical status card will not be sent. A digital card is available in the Safar Flyer app
You can only get a Silver or Gold status through the match offer. The platinum status (= Oneworld Emerald) will probably not be offered.
The main status benefits are as follows:
Safar Flyer Silver
The Safar Flyer Silver corresponds to the Oneworld Ruby status in the Oneworld alliance. The following advantages are offered:
- All the benefits of Oneworld Ruby when flying Oneworld airlines:
- Business class check-in
- Complimentary Preferred Seats (with exceptions)
- With some airlines (e.g. AA) additional baggage allowance + priority boarding
- Priority on the waiting and standby list
- Also on flights with Royal Air Maroc:
- 1x 23 kg baggage allowance
- Special customer service
Safar Flyer Gold
The gold status is much more worthwhile because it corresponds to the Oneworld Sapphire across the alliance. You can therefore enjoy the following benefits:
- All the benefits of the Oneworld Sapphire when flying Oneworld airlines:
- All advantages of Ruby (see above)
- Access to the business class lounge incl. 1 guest
- Priority boarding
- Partially free reservation of seats with extra legroom (depending on the airline)
- Additional baggage allowance (with exceptions for Light fares)
- Priority baggage
- Also on flights with Royal Air Maroc:
- Free suitcase protection (probably wrapped in plastic film, as offered at many airports)
- Free transport of pets
- Fast track at security (at selected airports)
The process of the status match is explained quite quickly.
Registration with Safar Flyer
First, you have to create a free account with the Safar Flyer frequent flyer program. You can find the registration form here.
You will then be shown the membership number, which you should copy directly to the clipboard:
Registration for the Status Match
Then go to the SafarFlyerStatusMatch.com website:
The process is relatively self-explanatory. On the right half of the screen, you will find a form for your name, email address and the Safar Flyer frequent flyer number.
Once you have filled out these fields, the next step is to provide details about the existing status:
If your status is not already in the StatusMatch.com database, you will now be prompted to upload proof of your existing frequent flyer card. This can be a screenshot from the online account or a photo of the physical card.
The match is then confirmed. Now you have to enter the credit card details to pay the processing fee (€49):
The data will then be checked by StatusMatch.com, and you should receive a response within a week. Please note that the fee will also apply if your match is rejected (for whatever reason). After the match, the status at Safar Flyer will be valid until March 31, 2023.
Source: View from the Wing