Star Alliance carriers Lufthansa and Swiss team up with South American airlines Avianca, BOA (Boliviana de Aviacion), and GOL to bring you cheap flights to Bolivia. With departure from Barcelona, you can reach the country’s largest cities Santa Cruz de la Sierra and La Paz for €365 – a fare that includes a checked bag up to 23 kg. Premium Economy tickets are available for €631.
All possible stops require at least two stops each way – one in Europe and one in Latin America.
You can find the discounted tickets to the following destinations:
You can use our Go2 search mask to find suitable flight dates. In some cases, only Lufthansa offers the low fare, in some cases Swiss. Sometimes both, sometimes neither. But at this price, it pays off to invest some time and fool around a bit, eventually striking a bargain with trial & error. There seem to be scattered availabilities from February through June 2022 and much better availability from August 2022 onwards.
Long haul services are Lufthansa (Frankfurt – Bogotá or Frankfurt – São Paulo) or Swiss (Zurich – São Paulo) flights. If you connect in Colombia, Avianca or BOA will take you to your destination. When changing planes in São Paulo, GOL will carry you onwards. In case of the latter, the Brazilian airline will spoil premium economy passengers with treats like lounge access, a blocked middle seat and free meal service on board.
Search & Book
The fare rules for these tickets don’t mention a specific sales or travel period. We’ve been able to find scattered availabilities from February through June 2022 and much better availability from August 2022 onwards.
Google Flights is a bit unreliable, but still the fastest and best way to find flight dates (some displayed dates are already sold out or tickets aren’t offered). You can also fire up our flight search to see what OTAs have to offer. The best option, however, is to book on Lufthansa‘s or SWISS‘ website.
Unsurprisingly, the earning opportunities for economy and premium economy tickets are a bit different:
Economy tickets book in booking classes L (Swiss & Lufthansa) and B (Gol). A routing via Zurich and São Paulo results in the following earnings for Star Alliance frequent flyers:
- 7,652 Miles on Air Canada Aeroplan
- 6,504 Award Miles + 1,300 PQP on United MileagePlus
- 3,900 Miles on ANA Mileage Club
- 3,696 Miles on Aeromexico Club Premier
- 3,486 Miles on Asiana Club
- 3,286 Points on SAS EuroBonus
- 3,252 Miles on EgyptAir Plus
- 3,252 Miles on Ethiopian ShebaMiles
- 3,252 Miles on EVA Infinity MileageLands
- 2,298 Miles on Qatar Privilege Club
- 2,296 Miles on Aerolineas Argentinas Plus
- 2,296 Miles on Korean Air Skypass
- 1,608 Miles on TAP Miles & Go
- 1,160 Award Miles + 3,236 Tier Miles on Miles&More
- 1,150 Miles on American AAdvantage
- 1,148 Miles on Copa ConnectMiles
- 1,148 Miles on Emirates Skywards
- 1,148 Miles on South African Voyager
- 460 Award Miles + 10 XP on FlyingBlue
These are the premium economy booking classes for these tickets.
- Lufthansa / Swiss Premium Economy: N
- Gol Premium Economy: D
- Avianca Economy: W
This example covers a roundtrip with Lufthansa and Avianca via Frankfurt and Bogotá.
- 21,002 Kilometers on Air China PhoenixMiles
- 17,228 Miles on Aegean Miles+Bonus
- 14,652 Points on SAS EuroBonus
- 14,606 Award Miles + 2,164 PQP on United MileagePlus
- 14,604 Miles on Avianca LifeMiles
- 14,604 Miles on Air India Flying Returns
- 14,180 Miles on Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- 14,152 Miles on Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
- 14,074 Miles on South African Voyager
- 14,074 Miles on EVA Infinity MileageLands
- 14,074 Miles on TAP Miles & Go
- 13,746 Miles on EgyptAir Plus
- 13,746 Miles on Copa ConnectMiles
- 13,542 Miles on Air Canada Aeroplan
- 13,216 Miles on Singapore KrisFlyer
- 12,358 Miles on Asiana Club
- 12,358 Miles on LATAM Pass
- 12,358 Miles on Ethiopian ShebaMiles
- 9,622 Miles on ANA Mileage Club
- 2,208 Award Miles + 15,510 Tier Miles on Miles&More
- 1,594 Miles on Air Malta Flypass
- 1,382 Miles on Aeromexico Club Premier
- 858 Avios on Iberia Plus
Cover Picture: ©mezzotint_fotolia - stock.adobe.com