SkyTeam airlines Air France, Delta, Alitalia, and KLM are selling cheap flights from Madrid and Barcelona to Mexico City and Monterrey. Sadly, luggage (23 kg) will cost roughly €100 extra for the roundtrip.
If you’re flying to Mexico City, depending on the airline you select, you’d either have a layover in Paris, Amsterdam, Rome or Atlanta. The cheapest option varies for different dates, but they tend to be less than €20 apart. This means that you’ll mostly be able to fly with the SkyTeam airline of your preference. Flights to Monterrey are only possible with Delta.
Search & Book
This deal is valid until July 24, 2019. The duration of your trip has to be from 6 days (or a Sunday) to 3 months long. Available travel periods are:
- October 16th – December 13th, 2019
- March 2nd – April 8th, 2020
- April 18th – May 14th, 2020
The fare rules state, that flights may only be flown from Monday to Thursday, but we’ve found out that this isn’t always the case. For your convenience, we’ve put together an availability calendar with all cheap dates for trips of 7-10 days:
Otherwise, you can also use Google Flights to look for dates. Skyscanner will find you the cheapest fares. If you wish to travel with luggage, booking directly over the airlines’ website might be the best choice.
Tickets are issued in class V, meaning that you’ll get the following amounts of miles (based on a Barcelona-Mexico City roundtrip via Paris):
- 4,022 Miles on China Southern Sky Pearl Club
- 4,022 Miles on Aeromexico Club Premier
- 3,286 Miles on Saudia Alfursan
- 3,126 Award Miles + 12,500 MQM on Delta SkyMiles
- 3,124 Miles on MEA Cedar Miles
- 3,124 Miles on Air Europa Club
- 3,124 Miles on Aeroflot Bonus
- 3,124 Miles on Alitalia MileMiglia
- 2,858 Miles on Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- 2,608 Miles on Xiamen Airlines Egret Club
- 2,500 Miles on GOL Aéreos Smiles
- 2,500 Miles on China Airlines Dynasty Flyer
- 2,500 Miles on Aerolineas Argentinas Plus
- 2,500 Miles on Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- 2,500 Miles on Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- 2,500 Miles on Vietnam Golden Lotus Plus
- 2,500 Miles on Czech Airlines OK Plus
- 2,500 Miles on Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles
If you’re a member of Delta SkyMiles, this roundtrip would even get you roughly 12.600 MQMs (status miles).
Information & Tips for Mexico City
3 Tips for Mexico City
Mexico City is not quite as touristic as, for example, the seaside resort city and party destination Cancun. This means that hardly anybody speaks English, but you also don’t have to be afraid of being ripped off because you look like a tourist. My 3 tips for Mexico City:
- Torre Latinoamericana: The office tower – which looks a bit ugly from the outside – offers a fantastic view over the city, especially at dusk. The ticket is valid for several visits over the course of a whole day and costs 110 Pesos (= 4,50€).
- Chapultepec Park: There is a free zoo in Chapultepec Park. Even though admission is free, you can admire a total of 252 different animal species.
- Teotihuacán: A little outside of town are the impressive pyramids of Teotihuacán. I recommend that you get there early, otherwise you’ll have to wait in line for a long time. I came by public bus (not through an organized tour), I found the instructions on how to do that in this blog. I would also recommend checking out the cave restaurant there!
For getting around Mexico City I recommend using Uber. The countless taco stands are also great and extremely cheap. However, make sure that the meat is adequately cooled. Unfortunately, you often see that raw meat is lying somewhere in the blazing sun.
→ All Dealz for Mexico City
Information & Tips for Mexico
Mayan pyramids, dreamy beaches and tacos – Mexico is an incredibly diverse country. If you want to experience the Spanish-speaking country to its fullest, you should definitely stay somewhere other than the tourist hotspots and seaside resorts.
The Best Time to Travel
The perfect travel time is from December to April, during this time it hardly rains and the temperatures are pleasant. Unsurprisingly, during the rainy season from May to October there is more rainfall. Beware of some extreme weather phenomenons that might be unknown to Europeans: Hurricane season lasts from June to November! Those who want to travel to typical holiday areas like Cancún and do not want to spend lots of money should travel in the off season. Areas with less touristic relevance such as Mexico City, on the other hand, are relatively constant throughout the year from a price perspective.
Currency, Credit Cards & Tipping
The official currency of the country is the Mexican Peso. 1 EUR equals about MX$24. The acceptance of credit cards is comparable to or even slightly better than Germany. In almost all shops, even small kiosks, it is possible and quite normal to pay by card. The same applies to restaurants. For street vendors, street snack bars and the like, it is advisable to have a few pesos in cash with you. It is unusual to tip taxis or cab drivers. At a restaurant, 10-15 percent are normal, as long as the tip is not already listed on the bill as a line item. When paying by card, you can usually choose how much you want to tip at the card terminal before entering the pin. Housekeeping at a hotel should usually be tipped 20-40 Pesos per day, small favours have a going tip rate of 5 Pesos.
Immigration & Visa Requirements
Most EU citizens do not need a visa to enter Mexico. All you need to do is fill out the tourist card that is handed out onboard the plane. For touristic and business purposes, a visa-free stay of 180 days is possible.
→ All Dealz for Mexico
Cover Picture: Ditmar Lange