Star Alliance member Lufthansa offers interesting business class flights from Spanish cities to Santiago de Chile. They partnered up with Avianca and LATAM Airlines to offer such prices, which means that you can easily end up in premium economy or economy on the shorter flights. However, you can still check in two 32-kilo bags and carry two 8-kilo bags.
You can fly from the following Spanish cities:
To find the cheapest fares, use the links above that will forward you to Lufthansa’s best price search
If you don’t like surprises, you’ll be on the safe side with Lufthansa in one aspect: all planes have the exact same seats. That, however, will no longer be the case when Lufthansa receives its first Boeing 777 planes with the new business class. Many of our readers may have already experienced the current business class. Generally, Travel-Dealz writers and readers are not big fans of the Lufthansa business class, even though it is definitely not bad. One reason for that is that the service is too inconsistent: From extremely friendly and quick to unfriendly and slow – everything is possible with Lufthansa, even in business class.
With SWISS, it very much depends on the specific seat, as SWISS has a throne seat in every row. While the double seats share a platform in the middle, the throne seat has its own platform on each side, which you won’t have to share with anyone. Those seats thus offer privacy and comfort to an extent that the other seats cannot compete with. Therefore, you may be disappointed if you don’t get one of the throne seats, even if the other seats obviously also have a very high standard.
LATAM’s Boeing 787 Dreamliners have a 2-2-2 configuration and can be reclined into a lie-flat position. If you travel alone, you’ll likely have a seatmate, whom you’d have to bother if you are in a window seat and want to stand up. There’s also not much privacy in this scenario. Service depends on the flight.
Lufthansa uses their Airbus A340 to Bogota while Swiss flies a Boeing B777 to/from Sao Paulo. Between Bogota and Santiago, you can choose between two Dreamliners. On Avianca, you would be in an Economy seat, but earn more miles, while LATAM offers you a business seat in a 2-2-2 configuration.
Search & Book
The fare rules don’t mention an expiration date. However, the not-so-good availability suggests that the fares may be gone soon. There is a 10 nights minimum stay, while the maximum stay is a year.
The best (and only) way to look for flights is to use the links above. They will lead to the best price search on Lufthansa’s website. Google Flights doesn’t show the right prices and even on ITA Matrix, we had to set routing codes for the flights to show up. OTAs don’t show the right prices either.
Your mileage heavily depends on what option you book. For Star Alliance programs, the LATAM Business gives you significantly fewer earnings than Avianca Economy (Around 4,000 Tier Miles less for Miles&More, but similarly worse for all programs). Lufthansa issues the outbound in booking class P and the Swiss inbounds in booking class Z. Avianca Economy is booking class H, while LATAM issues business in class D and premium eco in booking class W.
The example routing including LATAM business would get you the following earnings:
- 26,781 Kilometers on Air China PhoenixMiles
- 22,753 Award Miles + 16,603 Tier Miles on Miles&More
- 16,644 Award Miles + 3,037 PQP on United MileagePlus
- 16,588 Miles on Singapore KrisFlyer
- 16,203 Miles on Air Canada Aeroplan
- 14,956 Miles on LATAM Pass
- 14,956 Miles on Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- 13,481 Miles on Ethiopian ShebaMiles
- 13,481 Miles on Air Malta Flypass
- 13,272 Miles on Copa ConnectMiles
- 13,139 Points on SAS EuroBonus
- 12,996 Miles on ANA Mileage Club
- 10,157 Miles on Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
- 10,114 Miles on Aegean Miles+Bonus
- 10,111 Miles on Air New Zealand AirPoints
- 10,111 Miles on TAP Miles & Go
- 8,428 Miles on Asiana Club
- 8,425 Miles on South African Voyager
- 8,425 Miles on EVA Infinity MileageLands
- 8,425 Miles on EgyptAir Plus
- 8,425 Miles on Avianca LifeMiles
- 7,314 Miles on S7 Airlines Priority Club
- 7,068 Award Miles + 4,427 Tier Miles on Alaska Mileage Plan
- 6,741 Miles on Air India Flying Returns
- 6,398 Miles on Delta SkyMiles
- 5,087 Award Miles + 884 Tier Miles on Asia Miles
- 5,087 Avios on British Airways Executive Club
- 5,087 Miles on Qatar Privilege Club
- 5,087 Avios on Iberia Plus
- 4,927 Miles on Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- 3,302 Miles on Royal Jordanian Royal Club
- 2,031 Miles on SriLankan FlySmiles
You can calculate your own earnings by using our mileage calculator. We have set the Avianca version as an example.
Hotel prices in Santiago usually start at roughly €50, depending on the hotel category. Whichever category and hotel you opt for, make sure to get the best price! Our recommendation is to search on booking.com, or even on our own Travel-Dealz hotel search:
Information & Tips for Santiago de Chile
Santiago de Chile is the capital and most important economic center of Chile. With its 5.6 million inhabitants, the city is also a key cultural center which attracts numerous tourists thanks to its location near both the coast and the Andes Mountains.
From the Airport to the City Center
Two different airport busses, CentroPuerto and TurBus, run from the airport to the city. The fare is about 3€ per person and the journey takes about 30 to 50 minutes depending on traffic conditions. Credit cards are accepted when buying a ticket at the airport counter.
Unfortunately, none of the two buses take you directly into the city centre. The buses from CentroPuerto go to the “Los Héroes” station, from there you can walk to the central Plaza de Armas in about 20 minutes and a transfer to the metro is also possible quite easily. A taxi is a bit faster and costs approximately 20€.
Best Time to Travel
The best weather conditions for sightseeing and other touristic activities are in spring between September and November and in autumn between March and May. Temperatures during these months are moderate and rainfall is low.
→ All Dealz for Santiago de Chile