IHG‘s loyalty program IHG Rewards Club currently offers a status match challenge for citizens of the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Until July 26, 2019 you can match your status with one of ten other hotel companies. If you fulfill IHG’s requirements within 90 days, you’ll receive an IHG Rewards Club status until December 31st, 2020.
How to match
First, you will need to sign up for IHG Rewards Club and receive a membership number. Since this is free and requires just a few clicks, it is the easiest part. Secondly, you need a status with one of the following ten hotel groups:
- Accor – Le Club AccorHotels
- Best Western – Best Western Rewards
- Caesars Entertainment – Caesars Rewards
- Choice – Choice Privileges
- Hilton – Hilton Honors
- Hyatt – World of Hyatt
- Marriott – Marriott Bonvoy
- NH Hotel Group – NH Rewards
- Radisson – Radisson Rewards
- Wyndham – Wyndham Rewards
To proof your status, a screenshot of your account page or membership card will suffice. IHG notes that it will only accept PNG, SVG, JPEG (JPG), or PDF files. You must not issue any personal information like address, phone or social security numbers!
It will take about two weeks to either grant or deny your match. After your status match is confirmed, you’ll have ninety days to confirm your IHG status by spending
- at least 2 nights in IHG hotels to receive Gold Elite Status
- at least 5 nights in IHG hotels to receivce Platinum Elite Status
- at least 10 nights in IHG hotels to receive Spire Elite Status*
*a maximum of 2,500 Spire Elite Status will be given out during this promotion. If they are all taken by the time you completed your 10 nights, you’ll be awarded Platinum Elite Status instead.
Maintaining your status
After an successful match, you’ll need further nights or award points through 2020 to maintain your status beyond December 31, 2020. According to IHG’s homepage, requirements are:
- at least 10 nights in IHG hotels or 10,000 reward points to maintain Gold Elite Status
- at least 40 nights in IHG hotels or 40,000 reward points to maintain Platinum Elite Status
- at least 75 nights in IHG hotels or 75,000 reward points to maintain Spire Elite Status
Of course, IHG can always change rules and guidelines at their own will.
A full list of each status’ perks can be seen here.
While IHG’s Elite Status does not cover common loyalty program traits like complimentary breakfast, this is a rather easy challenge. Because hurdles like a two night stay are low for Gold Elite Status (which grants free late check-outs, if available), we recommend to use this opportunity. The worst thing than can happen is spending two nights in an internationally acclaimed hotel brand and another membership card in your wallet.
Cover Picture: © InterContinental