Swiss and Lufthansa are currently selling very cheap tickets for flights in first class from airports in Croatia and Austria, as well as Dublin and Budapest to Johannesburg. Round-trips from Europe to South Africa are available at prices starting at only €2,789.
The fare cannot be canceled. You can rebook these flights, but the price difference could be incredibly high for first class tickets. The good news, however, is that currently, South Africa will let most people enter the country if they show a negative PCR test.
You will find flights in September 2021, as well as between January and June 2022.
- Vienna: €2,787
- Graz: €2,790
- Salzburg: €2,791
- Linz: €2,801
- Split: €2,819
- Zagreb: €2,831
- Budapest: HUF 1,004,900 (~€2,552)
- Klagenfurt: €2,938
- Dublin: €2,976
- and more…
Depending on the carrier you choose, your trip will include a layover either in Germany or in Switzerland. From there, Lufthansa or Swiss will fly you to South Africa. The airlines will mostly operate an Airbus A330 or a Boeing 747.
Both carriers offer a solid first class product. Since you should be able to find equally priced flights for Lufthansa and Swiss, we recommend having a look at the following two reviews to see who you’d like to give preference to:
Search & Book
This fare can be booked for flights in September 2021 and between January and June 2022. The fare has no expiration date and can thus be withdrawn anytime. The minimum stay requirement is of 5 days. Furthermore, your stay cannot exceed 12 months.
Use Google Flights (instructions) to find all connections. The tool will display all prices and routes correctly and make it easy to select dates that suit you. You can then book on Lufthansa‘s or SWISS‘ website.
Tickets for the feeder flights in business class will be issued in booking class J, the one for the long-haul flight in A. Consequently, the earning rate will be somewhere between 125% and 300%. Depending on which frequent flyer program you’ve signed up for. Here’s what you will be credited with for a trip from Zagreb with Lufthansa including a layover in Frankfurt:
- 46,402 Kilometers on Air China PhoenixMiles
- 36,406 Miles on Aegean Miles+Bonus
- 36,406 Points on SAS EuroBonus
- 34,406 Miles on Ethiopian ShebaMiles
- 34,234 Miles on Copa ConnectMiles
- 34,234 Miles on TAP Miles & Go
- 32,406 Miles on Air Malta Flypass
- 24,004 Miles on Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
- 23,432 Miles on Avianca LifeMiles
- 23,424 Award Miles + 3,364 PQP on United MileagePlus
- 23,250 Miles on LATAM Pass
- 22,976 Miles on Singapore KrisFlyer
- 22,976 Miles on Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- 22,976 Miles on EgyptAir Plus
- 17,574 Miles on Air Canada Aeroplan
- 17,574 Miles on ANA Mileage Club
- 17,452 Miles on Asiana Club
- 17,390 Miles on EVA Infinity MileageLands
- 17,344 Miles on South African Voyager
- 10,876 Award Miles + 36,400 Tier Miles on Miles&More
- 1,828 Miles on Air India Flying Returns
Looking to get a status with these flights? Our status calculator will show you how close you are to reach a status tier:
Information & Tips for Johannesburg
Johannesburg has 9,6 million inhabitants and is the largest city and most important business and financial center in Africa south of the Sahara. The city is well connected to Europe by air, flights for under 500€ (round trip) are becoming increasingly more common.
Best Time to Travel
The best times to visit Johannesburg are during fall (March – May) and during spring (September – Novemver). Temperatures are warm but pleasant and rainfall is comparatively rare.
From the Airport to the City
One possibility is taking the Gautrain, a type of local commuter rail. A trip to the city center takes about 25 minutes and costs approximately 12€. Taking a cab or an Uber runs you about 18€ to 24€.
→ All Dealz for Johannesburg