Oneworld member Finnair has a nice weekend surprise for us. The carrier offers a Finnair Plus Gold (=Oneworld Sapphire) frequent flyer tier for all who book one of the carrier’s nonstop business class roundtrip ticket to the USA with a departure from Stockholm. You will maintain the status for a full year – sadly it is unclear if Finnair grants it after sending your e-mail or completing your flights.
Terms & Conditions
To participate in the status challenge you need to:
- Create a new or have an existing Finnair Plus account
- Book a direct Finnair business class flight from Stockholm-Arlanda to the USA
or Thailandbefore May 2, 2022.
- Your inbound must arrive back in Sweden on October 31, 2022, or earlier.
- Mail your Finnair Plus membership number and booking reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finnair does not offer direct flights from Stockholm-Arlanda to Thailand within the promotions travel period. Therefore, your options are their nonstop services to New York and Los Angeles.
You can find the full terms & conditions of the promotion if you scroll down on the promotional page:
Thanks to our reader Martin, who gave us notice via Report a Deal!
The cheapest direct nonstop business class tickets to Los Angeles are currently available at SEK 14,862 (~€1,367), New York start at SEK 13,952 (~€1,283). These are business class light fares. They don’t include checked bags, lounge access or other priority services.
We have highlighted all possible roundtrips at the quoted price in our availability calendar. Please note that you must book on Finnair’s website to get the status update. Also, your latest possible inbound flight date is October 30, 2022 (since your flight arrives in Arlanda the following day).
You may also find additional flight dates on Google Flights. The tool does not display light fares, so the cheapest flights are €200 cheaper on Finnair’s website.
Oneworld Sapphire Benefits
Holding a Oneworld Sapphire status will get you quite a few benefits when traveling with one of the alliance’s member:
- Access to all Business Class lounges – worldwide and together with one guest. No matter which cabin class you’re traveling in
- Access to Business Class priority check-in – you can check in at any Business Class counter. Again, irrespective of your cabin class
- Extra baggage allowance – you can bring a second piece of luggage, assuming your fare includes at least one checked bag. On domestic flights, you can bring one bag, even if your fare does not include one (the only exception is British Airways)
- Priority boarding – get on the plane will others are still waiting
- Priority baggage handling – your bags should be the first to appear on the luggage belt after you arrived
- Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating – chose your seat at the time of booking, free of charge
- Priority on waitlists and when on standby
Compared to Star Alliance, there is actually only the fast-track that is missing. And the reason for this is an additional level that you can find within the Oneworld alliance program: the Emerald tier. This level will get you access to first class lounges and also fast-track through security.
Cover Picture: © Finnair