To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Finnair Plus frequent flyer program, there are two nice deals for earning and redeeming points. On of them is that you get a 30% discount on many award tickets to e.g. Bangkok or Chicago.
This is about the second promotion: If you book a Finnair ticket by May 10, 2022, the number of all award and status points will be tripled. This applies to all flights up to December 31, 2022, in all travel classes.
Full terms and conditions of the offer can be found here. The following details are important:
- Booking period: May 3 – 10, 2022
- Travel period: May 4 to December 31, 2022
- Only valid for flights with a Finnair flight number operated by Finnair or Norra
- Applies in all travel classes for all fares (Light, Classic, Flex)
- The Finnair Plus membership number must be provided at the time of booking
Earn miles with Finnair Plus
Finnair Plus has a zone-based mileage accrual system. It doesn’t really matter which destination you travel to. The only important thing is the fare classification according to continents (Northern Europe, Europe, Rest) and the fare type.
The Finnair website provides an overview. Note that the points listed apply in each direction:
The percentages and points above are naturally quite abstract at first. So we used an example to determine how many status and award points you can expect. The prices refer to the connection Paris – Helsinki – Bangkok and back (e.g. November 8 to 16):
- Economy Light: 30,000 instead of 10,000 points (€433)
- Economy Classic: 60,000 instead of 20,000 points (€513)
- Economy Flex: 90,000 instead of 30,000 points (€655)
- Business Light: 90,000 instead of 30,000 points (€1,612)
- Business Classic: 120,000 instead of 40,000 points (€1,912)
- Business Flex: 150,000 instead of 50,000 points (€2,411)
With 80,000 points in one year, you will reach the Finnair Plus Gold status, which corresponds to the Oneworld Sapphire.
A return flight in Eco Flex is enough for this! And the 90,000 award points alone, which you receive on top, have a value of around €700 to €1,000 if they are redeemed sensibly. Sounds like the deal of the year!
Here is an example how you can use this promo to maximum effect:
With 150,000 points, you’d get the Finnair Plus Platinum status (= Oneworld Emerald + 1 upgrade voucher).
Of course, there are also countless other attractive options to get the points cheaply. For example, tickets from France to the USA are relatively cheap (e.g. €355 in eco light / €455 in eco classic).
Cover Picture: © Finnair