Oneworld member British Airways offers discounted nonstop flights from London-Gatwick to Bergamo, the Italian city that lies roughly 50 km outside Milan. Roundtrips start at £150 (~€171) and include two free checked bags up to 32kg! Not only is this price barely higher than if you’d be flying in economy class with luggage, but this also lends itself perfectly for a small status run as it is a quick way to earn 80 tier points in British Airways Executive Club.
Airbus A320-200 family aircraft operate flights in both directions, featuring British Airways’ European Business Class Club Europe. A particularly interesting feature in these (Corona) times: The seat next to you is blocked!
By the way, this isn’t our only deal from London:
Search & Book
According to fare rules, there are no restrictions. Availability starts in November. We recommend looking for dates on Google Flights (instructions) and entering the dates you’ve found on British Airways’ website.
British Airways issues tickets in booking class I. While your earnings are limited by the short distance of the trip, you still can expect a bit of mileage. This is the base mileage without any tier bonuses for a Gatwick-Bergamo roundtrip:
- 2,950 Award Miles + 1,770 Tier Miles on Alaska Mileage Plan
- 2,848 Points on Finnair Plus
- 1,770 Avios + 80 TP on British Airways Executive Club
- 1,770 Avios + 150 TP on Iberia Plus
- 1,770 Miles on American AAdvantage
- 1,770 Avios on Aer Lingus AerClub
- 1,476 Avios + 24 Qpoints on Qatar Privilege Club
- 1,476 Award Miles + 30 Tier Miles on Asia Miles
- 1,476 Miles on Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- 1,476 Award Miles on LATAM Pass
- 1,476 Miles on Royal Air Maroc Safar Flyer
- 1,476 Miles on Royal Jordanian Royal Club
- 1,476 Miles on SriLankan FlySmiles
- 1,474 Miles on S7 Airlines Priority Club
- 1,180 Award Miles + 6 Tier Miles on Malaysia Airlines Enrich
Additionally, you can earn 80 tier points by booking this roundtrip. As a result, this offer is a rather attractive mileage run. Travel-dealz member Patrick gathered further information on this topic here:
British Airways’ Club Europe
British Airways’ European Business Class Club Europe can be found across their Airbus A320 family short haul fleet. It uses the exact same seats that are used in Economy Class. The main difference is that the middle seat is blocked within the usual 3-3 seating arrangement and that food and beverage services are free. Unfortunately, you still have to deal with a rather small legroom (less than 80 cm).
The main benefits of Club Europe are lounge access (if available), free meal service and generous baggage regulations (2 checked bags up to 32 kg). You can find a more detailed review of the product here.