There are quite some status match offers or challenges out there, and we’ve presented a couple to you already. But all of them have one thing in common: you have to be able to provide proof of a frequent flyer status with another airline. But there’s one program out there that is an exception: AAdvantage, American Airlines‘ loyalty program. Instead of asking for another elite status, they ask for money. To be more precise: for an amount between $100 and $240. If you’re willing to put down this kind of money, you will be able to take up the AAdvantage status challenge.
The status challenge is nothing official, meaning that there are no term and conditions. The challenge is ‘invitation only’. But the reports we heard and read about all match. Accordingly, these seem to be the requirements:
AAdvantage is one of the more complicated programs on the market. Not only is there a difference between award and tier miles but your status will depend on Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) and/or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD).
- Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM): tier miles
- Elite Qualifying Segments (EGQ): those are the segments you fly. Depending on your booking class one flight can be worth between 0,5 and 2 segments
- Elite Qualifying Dollars: Spend dollars on flights with American Airlines. If you travel with partner airlines, the EQD will be calculated in a way similar to tier miles.
To successfully finish the challenge, you’ll have to reach the following benchmarks:
|EQM/EQS||7,000 EQM or 8 EQS||12,500 EQMs or 16 EQSs|
|EQD||1,000 EQD||2,000 EQD|
Since there are nor official terms and conditions, the information about costs varies a little bit.
Please note that you won’t be able to take advantage of the benefits your new status brings while you are still within the qualification period. You can pay extra to have your status unlocked, but this will cost you somewhere between $280 and $420 for Gold status and $480 to $540 if you’ve been matched to Platinum.
First of all, you will need an AAdvantage account to be able to request the challenge. Just sign up for the program on the website. Once that’s done, you’re ready to go. Send an e-mail to email@example.com or call this number: +1 800-882-8880 (you might want to consider using Skype).
As soon your challenge has started, you’ll have 90 days to meet the requirements. If you challenge began between January 1st and Juni 15th, your status will be valid until January 31st the next year. But if you wait until after June 15th to sign up for the challenge, your status will be valid until January 31st the year after next. So, if you start on November 22nd, 2019 and manage to fly enough miles or segments, your status will be valid until January 31st, 2021.
Meet the requirements
Earning 12,500 tier miles and spending $2,000 to obtain Platinum status might sound like a lot at first sight. But luckily the Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) are only relevant if you book American Airlines tickets. With all other Oneworld partners, you EQD will be calculated based on the booking class and the distance flown.
You can quickly meet the requirements with one of the offers we frequently post, where you can fly in British Airways’ Business Class for prices far below €1,500.
- Oneworld Ruby status: Business Class check-in, access to preferred or pre-reserved seating and Priority on waitlists and when on standby
- First checked bag without cost
- Complimentary upgrade on flights under 500 miles
- 40% bonus miles
- Main Cabin Extra seats at the time of check-in free of charge
- Free Preferred seats
- Oneworld Sapphire status: all benefits of Ruby status and access to Business Class lounges, priority boarding, extra baggage allowance as well as priority baggage handling
- 2 pieces of checked luggage free of charge
- Complimentary upgrades on flights under 500 miles
- 60% bonus miles
- Free Main Cabin or Preferred seats at the time of booking
You should be aware of the fact that you won’t have access to the Admirals Club lounges if you’re on a domestic flight within the United States! To get this benefit, you would have to buy an exclusive membership. The discounted price for a Platinum member is around $500. Not exactly cheap.
If you’re not holding any status at all, American Airline’s offer could be a chance to reach a Oneworld elite tier on a fast an easy path. Especially if you’re traveling on American Airlines a lot, you can benefit from the unlimited upgrades. Platinum status get’s you access to the frequent flyer lounge ion all Oneworld flights. And prices for the challenge are not to bad as well.
If you’re not able to request this challenge because you currently don’t have an elite status, check out this article to see some other options:
American Airlines Dealz
We currently offer the following Dealz with American Airlines:
- USA: Oneworld Flights Starting at €222 From Barcelona (only carry-on)
- Oneworld: €298/£250 to Many US-Destinations From London (Only Carry-on)
- USA: Oneworld Flights From Paris Starting at €279 (Without Luggage)
- Miami & New York: €311 Oneworld From Milan (Without Luggage)
- USA: €659 in Premium Economy From Dublin With British Airways
- Boston, Chicago, New York: €565 Oneworld Premium Economy from Spain
Source: UpgradedPoints – Thanks!